Mr. Wayne A. Ulman formerly served as the Senior Defense Intelligence Analyst (SDIA) for China at U.S. Pacific Command (USPACOM) where he oversaw China analysis. Before that, he served as the China Issues Manager, Nation Air and Space Intelligence Center (NASIC).
Mr. Ulman serves on a number of national organizations and serves as senior mentor for several national committees. In 2007, Mr. Ulman was awarded Director of National Intelligence (DNI) Award for Collaborative Analysis. In 2011, he was awarded the “Harold Watson Award” at NASIC for career achievement. Also in 2011, Mr. Ulman completed a one year Joint Duty Assignment working as a Deputy National Intelligence Manager for Military issues at the Office of the Director for National Intelligence.
Mr. Ulman is a native of Chicago, Illinois. Upon his graduation from the Ohio State University, he began his intelligence career working at the Foreign Technology Division (now NASIC). After many years as a China military analyst, Mr. Ulman became NASIC’s China Issues Manager in 2004. In 2013, he became the senior China military analyst at USPACOM, and in 2017 the senior analyst at USSTRATCOM.
1986 BS degree in Aerospace Engineering, Ohio State University, Ohio
1992 MS degree in Management Science, University of Dayton School of Engineering, Ohio
2001 Senior Development Program, NASIC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2007 Air War College via distance learning program, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
1. Jun 1987 – Feb 2002: Analyst, National Air & Space Intelligence Center (NASIC), WPAFB, OH
2. Feb 2002 – Feb 2004: Chief, Asian Force Modernization Branch, NASIC, WPAFB, OH
3. Feb 2004 – Sep 2010: NASIC China Issue Manager, NASIC, WPAFB, OH
4. Oct 2010 – Sep 2011: Rotational assignment, Deputy NIO/Military Issues, ODNI, Washington, DC
5. Oct 2011 – Jul 2013: SDIA for China, USPACOM/J2, Pearl Harbor, HI
6. Feb 2017 – Jun 2017: SDIA for Strategic Issues, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, NE
7. Jun 2017 – Present: Acting Deputy Director of Intelligence, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, NE
(Current as of June 2017)