Brig. Gen. Edward A. Sauley III is the Deputy Director of Operations for Joint Electromagnetic Spectrum Operations, and the Mobilization Assistant to the Director of Operations, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. He is responsible for two organizations assigned to U.S. Strategic Command, the Joint Electronic Warfare Center and the Joint Electromagnetic Preparedness for Advanced Combat. General Sauley also serves as the principal advisor to the Director of Operations on reserve component matters related to the command's diverse missions, including strategic deterrence, cyberspace operations, integrated missile defense, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance and global strike.
General Sauley earned his bachelor’s degree and commission from the United States Air Force Academy, and attended undergraduate pilot training at Laughlin AFB, Ariz. He is a Command Pilot and has qualified as an instructor/evaluator in both the F-16 and the KC-135.
General Sauley has command experience at the Flight, Squadron, Group, and Wing Level, and is a Command Pilot with over 3,400 total flying hours.
1988 Bachelor of Science in Astronautical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy
1991 Tactical Fighter Electronic Combat Operations Course, Eglin AFB, FL
1996 Squadron Officer School via correspondence
1997 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
2002 Air Command and Staff College via correspondence
2006 Air War College via correspondence
2012 Director of Mobility Forces (DIRMOBFOR) Course, MacDill AFB, FL
2013 Air Force Nuclear Management Fundamentals Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2013 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, VA
2014 Air Force Advanced Nuclear Concepts Course, Air Force Nuclear College, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
1. June 1988 - August 1989, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin Air Force Base, TX.
2. August 1989 - December 1989, student, fighter lead-in training, Holloman Air Force Base, NM.
3. December 1989 - June 1990, student, F-16C Replacement Training Unit, MacDill Air Force Base, FL.
4. June 1990 - September 1990, student, Low Altitude Targeting Infrared for Night (LANTIRN), Luke AFB, AZ.
5. September 1990 - March 1992, F-16C pilot, Wing Electronic Combat Pilot, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea.
6. March 1992 - January 1995, F-16ADF Mission Commander, Chief of Wing Scheduling, Atlantic City, NJ.
7. January 1995 - May 1995, student, F-16C Instructor Pilot Course, Luke AFB, AZ.
8. May 1995 - March 1997, F-16C Academic and Flight Instructor pilot, Luke AFB, AZ.
9. March 1997 - January 1998, Flight Commander, Luke Air Force Base, AZ.
10. January 1998 - October 2001, F-16C Evaluator pilot and Mission Commander, Sioux City, IA.
11. October 2001 - June 2003, F-16C Flight Commander, 185th Fighter Wing, Sioux City, IA.
12. June 2003 - October 2003, KC-135E Flight Commander, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, IA.
13. October 2003 - May 2005, Chief of Current Operations, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, IA.
14. May 2005 - June 2005, Squadron Commander, 90th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Incirlik Turkey.
15. June 2005 - February 2006, Chief of Current Operations, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, IA.
16. March 2006 - June 2007, KC-135E Aircraft Commander and Squadron Operations Officer, Sioux City, IA.
17. June 2007 - August 2010, Operations Group Commander, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, IA.
18. August 2010 - June 2011, Wing Commander, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, IA (filling vacancy by deployed commander).
19. June 2011 - July 2012, Operations Group Commander, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, IA.
20. July 2012 - November 2014, Air National Guard Advisor to USSTRATCOM, and Battle Watch Commander, Offutt AFB, NE.
21. December 2014 - present, Mobilization Assistant to USSTRATCOM Director of Operations, and J3E, Joint Electromagnetic Spectrum Operations, Offutt AFB, NE.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2012 - November 2014, Air National Guard Advisor to USSTRATCOM, and Battle Watch Commander, Offutt AFB, NE, as a colonel.
2. December 2014 - present, Mobilization Assistant to USSTRATCOM Director of Operations, and J3E, Joint Electromagnetic Spectrum Operations, Offutt AFB, NE, as a brigadier general.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,400 military hours
Military aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-16C, F-16ADF, KC-135E, KC-135R
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters Air Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster Air Force Commendation Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor and 4 Oak Leaf Clusters Combat Readiness Medal with 4 Oak Leaf Clusters
National Defense Service Medal with 1 Bronze Star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short Tour with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 3 ‘M’ Devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1988
First Lieutenant June 1, 1990
Captain June 1, 1992
Major November 24, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel November 12, 2003
Colonel January 26, 2009
Brigadier General July 27, 2015
Link: Biography in .pdf
(Current as of March 2015)