Brig. Gen. James R. Stevenson Jr. serves as the Deputy Director of Operations for Joint Electromagnetic Spectrum Operations, and the Mobilization Assistant to the Director of Operations, U.S. Strategic Command at Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. He is responsible for two organizations assigned to U.S. Strategic Command, the Joint Electronic Warfare Center and the Joint Electromagnetic Preparedness for Advanced Combat. General Stevenson also serves as the principal advisor to the Director of Operations on reserve component matters related to the command's diverse missions, including strategic deterrence, cyberspace operations, integrated missile defense, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance and global strike.
Prior to his current position, General Stevenson served as the Assistant Adjutant General for the Nebraska Air National Guard. He was the principal advisor to the Adjutant General on complex and sensitive issues in the areas of logistics, command and control, communications, manpower and personnel, and other support functions related to mission operations.
General Stevenson received his commission through Officer Training School in 1989 after graduating from the University of Nebraska, Omaha. General Stevenson joined the Nebraska ANG in 1997 and subsequently attended the KC-135R Tanker Qualification Course. He has held positions in the 173rd Air Refueling Squadron as Flight Commander, Chief of Training, Chief of Tactics, Director of Operations and Commander, before becoming the 155th Operations Group Commander in 2010. General Stevenson is a command pilot with over 5,500 hours of flying time in T-37B, C-130E, RC-135, OC-135, and KC-135R aircraft and has combat flight time in contingency operations Allied Force, Southern Watch, Northern Watch, Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
1987 Bachelor of Arts, general studies, University of Nebraska, Omaha
1994 Squadron Officer School in residence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Combat Aircrew Tactics Senior Officers Course, McGuire AFB, N.J.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2012 ANG Senior Leaders Maintenance Course, ANG Readiness Center, Joint Base
2012 Joint Task Force Commanders Course, NORTHCOM, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2013 ANG Commanders Development Course, ANG Readiness Center, JB Andrews, Md.
2013 Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Level IV Anti-Terrorism Executive Training, McLean, Va.
2013 Joint Domestic Operations Course, JFHQ Nebraska ANG, Lincoln, Neb.
2013 Master of Business Administration, Bellevue University, Bellevue, Neb.
2017 Leadership in Homeland Security, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
1. January 1989 – February 1990, student pilot, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. February 1990 – July 1990, T-37 Pilot Instructor Training Course, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. July 1990 – March 1994, T-37B Instructor Pilot, Class Commander, Executive Officer, 8th Flying Training Squadron, 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance AFB, Okla.
4. March 1994 – June 1994, C-130 Initial and Tactical Qualification, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. July 1994 – November 1997, C-130E Aircraft Commander, 52nd Airlift Squadron, 347th Composite Wing, Moody AFB, Ga.
6. December 1997 – September 2005, Aircraft Commander, Instructor/Evaluator Pilot, KC-135R; Flight Commander, Chief of Training and Tactics, 173rd Air Refueling Squadron, 155th Air Refueling Wing, Nebraska ANG, Lincoln, Neb.
7. October 2005 – February 2008, Director of Operations, 173rd Air Refueling Squadron, 155th Air Refueling Wing, Nebraska ANG, Lincoln, Neb.
8. February 2008 – September 2010, Commander, 173rd Air Refueling, 155th Air Refueling Wing, Nebraska ANG, Lincoln, Neb.
9. September 2010 – July 2011, Commander, 155th Operations Group, 155th Air Refueling Wing, Nebraska ANG, Lincoln, Neb.
10. July 2011 – March 2013, Commander, 170th Group, Nebraska ANG, Offutt AFB, Omaha, Neb.
11. March 2013 – August 2014, Vice Commander, 155th Air Refueling Wing, Nebraska ANG, Lincoln, Neb.
12. August 2014 – August 2017, Wing Commander, 155th Air Refueling Wing, Nebraska ANG, Lincoln, Neb.
13. August 2017—December 2017, A3/Director of Operations, NEANG; Joint Force Headquarters Nebraska ANG, Lincoln, Neb.
14. December 2017 – May 2018, Assistant Adjutant General, NEANG; Joint Force Headquarters Nebraska ANG, Lincoln, Neb.
15. June 2018 – present, Deputy Director of Operations for Joint Electromagnetic Spectrum Operations and the Mobilization Assistant to the Director, Global Operations, United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 5,500
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, C-130E, KC-135R, OC-135, RC-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with nine oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with service star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and oak leaf cluster
Air Force Longevity Service Award with six oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with ‘M’ device and silver hourglass
Humanitarian Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Nebraska National Guard Homeland Defense Service Ribbon
Nebraska National Guard Service Medal with “XV” device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 27, 1989
First Lieutenant Jan. 27, 1991
Captain Jan. 27, 1993
Major Oct. 27, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel June 16, 2005
Colonel Sept. 9, 2011
Brigadier General Dec. 2, 2017
(Current as of July 2018)