Major General David D. ThompsonDJ3 Deputy Director, Global Operations
Major General David D. Thompson is the Deputy Director, Global Operations (DJ3), Global Operations Directorate, United States Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. As deputy director he is responsible to the Commander on matters of situational awareness, command and control and integrated plans and operations across space, nuclear, and cyber operations.
General Thompson was commissioned in 1985 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He is a career space officer with assignments in operations, acquisition, research and development, and academia. He has commanded operational space units at the squadron, group and wing-equivalent levels. The general is also an Olmsted Scholar, graduate of the Senior Acquisition Course and Level III-certified Program Manager. Prior to his current assignment, General Thompson was the Director of Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado.
1985 Bachelor of Science degree in astronautical engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1989 Master of Science degree in aeronautics and astronautics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
1990 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Advanced Program Managers Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2001 Air War College, by seminar
2005 Master of Science degree in national security industrial policy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1985 - May 1988, experimental rocket propulsion engineer and Chief, Motor/ Component Operations Section, Air Force Rocket Propulsion Laboratory, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2. June 1988 - July 1989, graduate student, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
3. August 1989 - October 1992, instructor of astronautics, assistant professor and executive officer, Department of Astronautics, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
4. October 1992 - May 1993, student, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
5. June 1993 - July 1995, Olmsted Scholar, Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria
6. August 1995 - July 1997, Program Manager, Advanced MILSATCOM Program, MILSATCOM Joint Program Office, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
7. August 1997 - June 1998, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 1998 - August 2000, spacelift requirements officer and Chief, Spacelift Vehicle Requirements Branch, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colo.
9. September 2000 - April 2002, Deputy Director, Commander's Action Group, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
10. June 2002 - July 2004, operations officer and Commander, 2nd Space Launch Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
11. August 2004 - June 2005, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2005 - July 2007, Commander, 45th Operations Group, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
13. August 2007 - May 2009, Commander, Aerospace Data Facility - Colorado, Buckley AFB, Colo.
14. June 2009 - June 2010, Director of Space Forces, U.S. Air Forces Central, Southwest Asia
15. July 2010 - May 2011, Vice Commander, U.S. Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
16. May 2011 - March 2012, Director of Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
17. March 2012 - present, Deputy Director, Global Operations Directorate, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
August 2007 - May 2009, Commander, Aerospace Data Facility - Colorado, Buckley AFB, Colo. , as a colonel
March 2012 - present, Deputy Director, Global Operations Directorate, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb. , as a brigadier general
Command Space Wings
Master Acquisition Badge
Missile Maintenance Badge
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1985
First Lieutenant May 29, 1987
Captain May 29, 1989
Major Aug. 1, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2000
Colonel Aug. 1, 2004
Brigadier General June 18, 2010
Major General October 10, 2013
(Current as of October 2013)