Major General John W. RaymondJ5 Director, Plans and Policy
Maj. Gen. John W. "Jay" Raymond is Director of Plans and Policy, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. He is directly responsible to the USSTRATCOM Commander for the development and implementation of national security policy and guidance; military strategy and guidance; space and weapons employment concepts and policy; and joint doctrine as they apply to the command and the execution of its missions. He is also responsible for the development of the nation's strategic war plan, strategic support plans for theater combatant commanders and contingency planning for the global strike mission.
General Raymond was commissioned through the ROTC program at Clemson University in 1984. He has commanded the 5th Space Surveillance Squadron at Royal Air Force Feltwell, England; the 30th Operations Group at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.; and the 21st Space Wing at Peterson AFB, Colo. He deployed to Southwest Asia as Director of Space Forces in support of operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. The general's staff assignments include Headquarters Air Force Space Command, the Air Staff and the Office of Secretary of Defense. Prior to his current assignment, General Raymond was the Director of Plans, Programs and Analyses, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB.
1984 Bachelor of Science degree in administrative management, Clemson University, S.C.
1990 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1990 Master of Science degree in administrative management, Central Michigan University
1997 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Arts degree in national security and strategic studies, highest distinction, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2007 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. August 1985 - October 1989, Minuteman intercontinental ballistic missile crew commander; alternate command post; flight commander and instructor crew commander; and missile procedures trainer operator, 321st Strategic Missile Wing, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
2. October 1989 - August 1993, operations center officer controller, 1st Strategic Aerospace Division, and executive officer, 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
3. August 1993 - February 1996, Chief, Commercial Space Lift Operations, assistant Chief, Current Operations Branch, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
4. February 1996 - August 1996, Deputy Director, Commander in Chief's Action Group, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
5. August 1996 - June 1997, student, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. June 1997 - August 1998, space and missile force programmer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. September 1998 - April 2000, Chief, Expeditionary Aerospace Force Space and Program Integration, Expeditionary Aerospace Force Implementation Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. April 2000 - June 2001, Commander, 5th Space Surveillance Squadron, Royal Air Force Feltwell, England
9. June 2001 - July 2002, Deputy Commander, 21st Operations Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
10. July 2002- June 2003, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
11. June 2003 - June 2005, transformation strategist, Office of Force Transformation, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2005 - June 2007, Commander, 30th Operations Group, Vandenberg AFB, Calif. (September 2006 - January 2007, Director of Space Forces, Combined Air Operations Center, Southwest Asia)
13. June 2007 - August 2009, Commander, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. August 2009 - December 2010, Director of Plans, Programs and Analyses, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. December 2010 – July 2012, Vice Commander, 5th Air Force, and Deputy Commander, 13th Air Force, Yokota Air Base, Japan
16. July 2012 – present, Director of Plans and Policy (J5), U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
June 2003 - June 2005, transformation strategist, Office of Force Transformation, Office of Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
July 2012 – present, Director of Plans and Policy (J5), U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
Badges: Master Space Operations Badge, Master Missile Operations Badge Systems: Minuteman III, Deep Space Tracking System, Counter Communications System
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
Global War on Terror Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
1987 Crew of the Year, 321st Strategic Missile Wing
1993 Company Grade Officer of the Year, Headquarters Air Force Space Command
1999 Action Officer of the Year, Directorate for Expeditionary Aerospace Force Implementation, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Air Force Association
2003 Graduated with highest distinction, Naval War College
2007 General Jerome F. O'Malley Distinguished Space Leadership Award, Air Force Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 20, 1984
First Lieutenant July 20, 1986
Captain July 20, 1988
Major July 1, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 1999
Colonel July 1, 2004
Brigadier General Aug. 19, 2009
Major General May 4, 2012
(Current as of July 2012)