Lieutenant General John "Jay" W. RaymondCommander, JFCC-Space
Lt. Gen. John W. "Jay" Raymond is Commander, 14th Air Force (Air Forces Strategic), Air Force Space Command; and Commander, Joint Functional Component Command for Space, U.S. Strategic Command, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. As the U.S. Air Force's operational space component to USSTRATCOM, General Raymond leads more than 20,500 personnel responsible for providing missile warning, space superiority, space situational awareness, satellite operations, space launch and range operations. As Commander, JFCC SPACE, he directs all assigned and attached USSTRATCOM space forces providing tailored, responsive, local and global space effects in support of national, USSTRATCOM and combatant commander objectives.
General Raymond was commissioned through the ROTC program at Clemson University in 1984. He has commanded the 5th Space Surveillance Squadron at Royal Air Force Feltwell, England; the 30th Operations Group at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.; and the 21st Space Wing at Peterson AFB, Colo. He deployed to Southwest Asia as Director of Space Forces in support of operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. The general's staff assignments include Headquarters Air Force Space Command, United States Strategic Command, the Air Staff and the Office of Secretary of Defense. Prior to his current assignment, General Raymond was the Director of Plans and Policy, Headquarters United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
1984 Bachelor of Science degree in administrative management, Clemson University, S.C.
1990 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1990 Master of Science degree in administrative management, Central Michigan University
1997 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Arts degree in national security and strategic studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2007 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2011 Combined Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 1985 - October 1989, Minuteman intercontinental ballistic missile crew commander; alternate command post; flight commander and instructor crew commander; and missile procedures trainer operator, 321st Strategic Missile Wing, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
2. October 1989 - August 1993, operations center officer controller, 1st Strategic Aerospace Division, and executive officer, 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
3. August 1993 - February 1996, Chief, Commercial Space Lift Operations, assistant Chief, Current Operations Branch, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
4. February 1996 - August 1996, Deputy Director, Commander in Chief's Action Group, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
5. August 1996 - June 1997, student, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. June 1997 - August 1998, space and missile force programmer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. September 1998 - April 2000, Chief, Expeditionary Aerospace Force Space and Program Integration, Expeditionary Aerospace Force Implementation Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. April 2000 - June 2001, Commander, 5th Space Surveillance Squadron, Royal Air Force Feltwell, England
9. June 2001 - July 2002, Deputy Commander, 21st Operations Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
10. July 2002- June 2003, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
11. June 2003 - June 2005, transformation strategist, Office of Force Transformation, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2005 - June 2007, Commander, 30th Operations Group, Vandenberg AFB, Calif. (September 2006 - January 2007, Director of Space Forces, Combined Air Operations Center, Southwest Asia)
13. June 2007 - August 2009, Commander, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. August 2009 - December 2010, Director of Plans, Programs and Analyses, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. December 2010 - July 2012, Vice Commander, 5th Air Force, and Deputy Commander, 13th Air Force, Yokota Air Base, Japan
16. July 2012 – January 2014, Director of Plans and Policy (J5), U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
17. January 2014 - present, Commander, 14th Air Force (Air Forces Strategic), Air Force Space Command, and Commander, Joint Functional Component Command for Space, USSTRATCOM, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2003 - June 2005, transformation strategist, Office of Force Transformation, Office of Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
2. July 2012 – January 2014, Director of Plans and Policy (J5), U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
3. January 2014 - present, Commander, Joint Functional Component Command for Space, USSTRATCOM, Vandenberg AFB, Calif., as a lieutenant general
Badges: Master Space Operations Badge, Master Missile Operations Badge
Systems: Minuteman III, Deep Space Tracking System, Counter Communications System
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
Global War on Terror Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
2007 General Jerome F. O'Malley Distinguished Space Leadership Award, Air Force Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 20, 1984
First Lieutenant July 20, 1986
Captain July 20, 1988
Major July 1, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 1999
Colonel July 1, 2004
Brigadier General August 19, 2009
Major General May 4, 2012
Lieutenant General January 31, 2014
(Current as of January 2014)