So how do I protect myself?
There are several things you can do to protect yourself and critical information when using Social Networking Sites.
First and most importantly, verify the identity of those who attempt to friend you on Social Networking Sites. A name and a photograph do not constitute verification.
- Lock down your profile/make it private
- Be suspicious
- Do a web search on yourself, your unit, and family members to see what information is posted to the internet.
- Review information and photos before posting.
- Be aware of any Public Affairs implications of your activities.
- Watch out for your friends and ensure they aren't posting any OPSEC disclosures. Data aggregation from different sources could reveal sensitive or even classified information.
- Educate your fellow unit members, family members and friends on the risks of SNS.
- Don't use the same password for each SNS. Do not use information commonly associated with you (family name, pet names, etc...)